It's time to put the Orion Nebula to bed!

Well we’ve done it lads! After a few months of talking about the Orion Nebula ya girl ROBEA finally has her own images of it! Now before you start jumping out of your seats in joy (Nat I can just SEE the excitement on that blank face!) And before you ask, no, I did not take the images myself, but it would’ve been really cool if I could’ve! No, I left the actual imaging to the guys up in the Observatory. Shout out to the BSU observation team! You guys rock! Ok, ok, let’s actually chat about these images. So I requested A LOT of images with like four different filters (Hey don’t give me that look. I wanted to make a pretty picture!). The BSU Observation bros, used four filters for me (Which I am so thankful for them putting up with my antics. Seriously you guys are the best,) So the filters were Verde (that’s green in Spanish for all you people who weren’t forced to take spanish in High School), Infrared, Red, and good ole’ clear. So before y’all get confused by my seemingly random color choice, let me remind you of some important info. Our bro, the Orion Nebula, is made up of mostly hydrogen with a splash of oxygen just because (Schoening 2018). I really hope I don’t have to bring back those terrible diagrams from a few posts ago, but since we seem to have forgotten what the Orion Nebula is made of, by gods I will bring them back!




Muhahahaha! Tremble mortals! Tremble before my rudimentary knowledge of chemistry! Muhahahaha!


Also, this time I did not have to Boogle (the unholy love child of Bing and Google) what filters to use for hydrogen and oxygen since I am a smart cookie who knows how to cheat off myself. To make this as painless as possible I’ll be crystal clear with you. Hydrogen shows up as red and oxygen shows up as green (Schoening 2018). Do I see some people putting together the puzzle? No you’re still lost? Welp I guess I’ll spell it out for you! I used the Verde filter to bring out the oxygen. I used both the Red and Infrared filters to drag the hydrogen kicking and screaming into my picture! But I bet you’re wondering why I used the clear filter? (That or you’re dissociating on your couch scrolling on your phone while eating a family sized bag of cheetos; hey man I don’t judge.) So for the none of you who were wondering that let ole ROBEA give show you the method of my madness. I used the clear so that I could catch any details that would be overshadowed by the other filters. That’s it. I know I bet you, expecting me to say something crazy, but not everything I do can be nonsensical. I also used Maxy (MaxIm DL) to sticht all my pictures together like I was a female version of Doctor Frankenstein. When you use Maxy you also have to use a program like Photoshop to touch up the picture. Maxy may be good at what it does but it is not a jack-of-all trades. But after all that work, and hours of me hitting my head on my desk, my pictures were born! Now don’t be expecting any masterpieces I am new to this whole Astrophotography thing and if the picture looks bad then it is on me. I think the BSU Observation peeps are angels so any problems with the pictures is probably my dumb butt doing something wrong. So without further ado! My attempt at Astrophotograhy!


So...Yeah here it be.


Well we’ve done it. I have tore apart the Orion Nebula. I know way too much about it, like seriously, but it is time to close the chapter on the Orion Nebula. Good show old sport (A little “Great Gatsby” feels never hurt anyone ;) ). We are moving on to other things because there is a huge space out there that I need to get my hands on. So go! Be free friends! It's time to find another fish in the sea! Toodaloo!

Works Cited
Schoening, B. (n.d.). National Optical Astronomy Observatory. Retrieved December 12, 2018, from https://www.noao.edu/image_gallery/html/im0349.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Planet From Hell

The Little Robot Who Could